Saturday, July 26, 2008

Tragedy in the Family


On Friday July 25th we got a call from my brother Ethan who said that he needed help with the girls because they had just found Kamber, who is two, at the bottom of the pool. We raced over there to find Tayler (7) Kylie (5) and Sheridan, a cousin (2) sitting on the couch with the fireman standing there waiting. He told me that she had been under water for as few as five minutes and as much as ten. Ethan and Jen worked on her until the paramedics got there and then they took over. They continued the efforts to save their little Kamber but there was no response. So they took her by ambulance to the nearest hospital and worked on her some more. They tried several different techniques to try to revive her tiny body , but she was gone. They had done everything they could possibly do, but she was gone.

It is so hard to wrap our minds around how she got in the pool fence. There are two gates, both of which were shut. There is just no way to explain it, only that there is a great sadness that envelopes so many people due to this tragedy. As a member of the church we feel that when our Heavenly Father needs you back home, that when it is your turn to go, then you are called back home. We know that we will see her again and that Ethan and Jen will have their family back together again, but it does not help those of us who are left behind to try to answer all of the questions, pick up all the pieces and still go on, plugging away through life.

She had the spunkiest personality and was the life of every party. Her love for life put a smile on everyone's face. Our hearts are broken and I know that it is going to be a long time before the hole in my heart will be able to heal. We will forever miss our sweet little Kamber-Bamber.

12 comments:

McKelle said...

Mindi I am so sorry. I know there is nothing I can do or say to help you and your family heal faster. Just know that I'm thinking of you and your family. My prayers are with you. I also know that she is with our Heavenly Father and he has a purpose for her in heaven.

Alishia said...

Mindi -- What can I say? My heart is also broken over here, so I can only imagine what you and your family are feeling. I pray for all of you, especially Jen and Ethan all throughout the day now. I hope you all can be comforted somehow. I love you!!

jakeanddeana said...

Mindi, I can't tell you how sorry I am for this seemingly senseless tragedy. I want you to know that you and your entire family are in our prayers. I pray that each of you will find the comfort and peace that I know you all desire. Our love goes out to you and your family!

Katie said...

Mindi -

I am so very sorry for your family... If there is anything ANYTHING I can do to help.. please call. I would love to watch your kids any and every day this week so you would be free to go help your brother and his family.

Our hearts and prayers are with you all... please give your mom and dad a big hug from me.

Cheri Lundgreen

Cheri said...

Sorry Mindi - I didn't realize I was logged in as Katie .... Although she wanted me to tell you she is thinking about you too...

Cheri

Stephanie Abney said...

Mindi ~ this had to be difficult to write, but you shared this tragedy with such grace and what a beautiful picture of little Kamber you put up. Thank you for posting this. Please know that our hearts and prayers go out to all of your family. Jim and I just got back from trying to pay a visit to your folks' house but they are probably at Ethan's. We love all of you and have been praying for the entire family ever since we heard your sad news.

Losing a child is the hardest thing the Lord has ever reqired of us and that loss is different for every parent who has to go through it. I pray that Jen and Ethan (and all of you ~ this has got to be so hard) will find the comfort you need to sustain you during this difficult time.

Blessings,
Stephanie

Andy & Jen said...

Mindi, Shelley told me about your blog and I just wanted to write you a note and say how sorry I am about your family's tragedy. When my mom told me what had happened my heart has been aching for all of you since. I am truly sorry, my prayers are with all of you.
Love,
Jennifer (Jolley) Martin

Johnson Kid's said...

Hey mindi, i just wanted to say that was beautiful! I am going to miss little Kamber too! She so loved little Jack Jack! Give everyone hugs from me! You and your family are in my prayers! :-) I love all of you guys so much! She will never be forgotten!

-Sharynn Johnson

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marlene Jolley said...

Mindi,
As I read your entry, tears came to my eyes. Your family has been on my mind so much. I wish I knew the right things to say to offer any sort of comfort to you. I just wanted to let you know that your family are in our prayers.

Shelley McKown

Laura said...

Dear Mindi and family-
Our hearts are aching for your loss. Your family is in our prayers. We send our love and deepest sympathy.
love,
The Dryden Family

Anonymous said...

Mindi,

All I can do is cry and tell you how sad my heart is for Ethan and Jen and your family. I find myself asking why but know we have to trust our Heavenly Father that he knows what's best. But it still hurts. All your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Stacy