Friday, October 17, 2008

The Surgery a Success!!

On Tuesday, February 5th of this year, Trace came home from school running a really high fever with a pain in his stomach. He was so sick and we could not figure out what was wrong with him. We made a couple of trips to the doctor, got ex-rays and blood drawn and finally ended up in the emergency room on Thursday night. After six hours in the emergency room and several more tests, he was admitted at 2:00 am on Friday morning. He had a Staph infection in his kidney and spent several days in the hospital.

We found out through numerous tests that he has always had a condition known as kidney reflux. He had a few times in his life when he would run a high fever and his white blood count would be high. The doctors would give him an antibiotic and he would get better but we never found out what was causing the infection.

In June he had surgery to correct it and he has been on an antibiotic ever since. Today he had a VCUG to see if the surgery was a success. He was so nervous and I don't blame him one bit. It is an awful test and it is so hard as a parent to watch your child go through something so painful. I am happy to say however that everything looked great and we should be finished with the kidney infections. He does have 25% kidney damage to one of his kidneys but the other one will compensate for that. He no longer has to take antibiotics and I am so grateful to everyone that was involved in him being healed. We had many family and friends who helped and prayed for us and we are so thankful.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad Trace is all better! What an experience for a 7 year old! I am glad the tests went okay this week and it's over.

Let me know if you would like some help with Kamber's signs. I will help you with them...

SM said...

I am so glad Trace is okay. I had no idea you guys were dealing with this.

Lis said...

Wow, I am so glad that Trace is alright. I pray that he continues to recover. We're thinking of you.

Jess said...

That's great news! Too bad he had to go through all of that...no fun. Glad he's better! I think that is such a sweet way to remember Kamber. I love traditions, and a purple flower tradition would be so fun!!

McKelle said...

Oh Mindi I'm so happy for you, your family and especially Trace! I'm so happy things are looking better! I hope he doesn't have any more problems with this.

The McNeil Family said...

That is great news.. I am glad that the vcug went well and the results were good.

larsen family said...

Yeah Tracer! I'm so gald he doesn't have to deal with this anymore. He is such a sweet boy and it makes me sad when he has to suffer and be sick. We love our Trace boy!

Jen Frost said...

Trace is such a trooper. I'm so glad he is feeling better.

Alishia said...

I'm so glad everything worked out and now his high fevers have an explanation. I hate the unknown. He is such a lucky boy that they caught this when they did.