The most worthy calling in life … is that in which man can serve best his fellow man. … The noblest aim in life is to strive to live to make other lives better and happier. David O McKay
Saturday, December 13, 2008
The Power of Service
I have been thinking a lot lately about my life and how many times I have benefited from the service of others. I am the type of person that has a really hard time accepting help because I feel that I should be able to do it and if I can't then I am a failure. At the end of my last pregnancy I was having terrible pre-term labor and was on bed rest for about six weeks. It was so hard to just lay on the couch and watch others do my laundry, dishes and take care of my kids; all the things that I was supposed to do. Then when he was born, he was sent to a different hospital and spent five days in the NICU. I had no choice but to let people take my kids because I spent all of those days at the hospital taking care of my little Troy. I look back now and I am so grateful for everyone's service because I know that I could not have done it without them. There have been several other times when our family was going through a crisis and there was always someone there to help me even when I didn't know I needed help. So now I wonder, "Why is it so hard for us to ask for help or better yet, allow others to serve us?" We don't skip a beat if we are called on to serve but yet if we are struggling why can't we ask for help? I decided to look up some articles on the LDS website and I cannot believe the benefits that come from serving others and especially the rewards from allowing others to serve us. The hardest part is admitting that we might need help, that we are not handling life at that moment. I know that service is a huge part of our Heavenly Fathers' plan on earth. We could not do what we are asked to do without the help of others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
I am so grateful for you always being willing to help me and my family. I am guilty of not wanting to let others help and I also feel like a failure if I can't keep it together. This is one thing I think I am needing to learn right now, that I need to let others help me and that it is okay to fall apart at times. This is a lesson I am stuggling and fighting to learn but, I am forever grateful for you and your mom coming to the rescue yesterday.
Lossing Kamber is breaking me down little by little and showing all the different sides to me. I try so hard to keep it together but some times it is not possible and it is hard knowing that others see it happen. Hopefully this is the refiners fire and I can come out a better person in the end.
Mindi,
Thank you for your inspiring words. I too am at a time when others have started to serve me, and I am really having a hard time excepting it. Thanks again.
Kristi
I completely agree with you. I have a hard time accepting service yet when someone is needing something that I can give them, I don't think twice about it. I have to put myself on the other side of the fence and realize that when I do need the help that I am allowing others to receive blessings of their own. This has been difficult for me to do. I don't like to be taken care of when I think that can do it. Only that is the problem. I think I can do more than what I actually can do. This is what I am trying to realize. That I'm not a failure but that I just can't do all that I think I can. That in itself can be so frustrating....
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on service. I am another person that doesn't like to accept that i need help sometimes.. I need to learn to accept help when i am falling apart.
That is sooo true! I think about that all the time. I love to be able to help others and do things for others, but I hate having to have others help me and feel like I am putting them out. But, I need to allow others to feel the way serving makes you feel and serve when service is needed. (I hope that makes sense!)
Post a Comment