Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Workouts Pay Off

I am one of those people that tries to go as far as I can on a tank of gas before I fill up. When Troy was about eight months old I was in a huge hurry to get to the gas station because the light had been on for a while and I knew that I did not have too many miles that I could go. I pulled up to a light on Val Vista and sure enough, I ran out. I sat in the middle lane while people flew past me on either side for about fifteen minutes. I called Dave in tears and by now Troy was screaming his head off and there was nothing I could do. I just sat there and waited for Dave to come save me. The worst part about it was that on two of the corners there were construction crews with about ten guys at each one and not one of them offered to help. That day I decided that if I ever had the opportunity to help someone that I would do it.

On Tuesday my mom and I were on our way home from the store and sure enough, there was a lady sitting in the middle of the road with two little kids in the car and people flying past her. I pulled into the library parking lot and walked over and asked her if she needed me to push her. She said "yes" and so off we went. As I started to push I thought "I can do this, Spencer had us pushing cars for a workout." That Mercedes Benz however was a beast. It was about as heavy as my suburban. After a few pushes by myself a couple of guys decided that maybe they should step in and help. I just thought how sad it is that more men are not willing to help right off the bat. Not until they saw me out there pushing did they decide to pull over and help. I have to admit that although I was able to do it, I was way out of breath and my throat was on fire from breathing so hard. It looks like I need to make pushing cars part of my routine again.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl!! You have a tender heart! I know that lady was very appreciative of you! And what's up with the women always having to show the men how things are done??.... (so a joke! Not suppose to be sexist AT ALL!! :o)

Mary-Sunshine said...

Good for you! That makes me feel like I need to get back in the workout habit so I could do that if I needed to! YOu should ask Annie about the night she had to do that as well to a little old Grandma!

McKelle said...

What a good deed you did!

Lis said...

Mindi you rock! That is so awesome that you were able to get it done. Way to show those men!

Devan and Robyn said...

Way to go girl!! I wish I would have been there to help! I have NO DOUBT that the two of us could have pushed that car anywhere!! Keep up the good work!!

Alishia said...

You are awesome!! I've had the same problem and was also shocked at how unwilling people are to help. I'm so glad you were able to help that poor mother.

And I won't tell Bryan that you ran out of gas or he'll never let you hear the end of it. Too many years on patrol to be sympathetic to that. One day, I will be there, too. I run on fumes all the time. :-)

The McNeil Family said...

You are so sweet.. I am sure that you made her day by helping her. Pushing car sure paid off.

keepingupwiththewootans said...

I would love a new post from ya! Volleyball is so much fun and Im glad you convinced me to play it kinda makes me feel young again not that im old but High school and College young. Its a blast.