Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What's With My Calves?

A few years ago I was playing volleyball with a group of friends and had a freak thing happen. I took a step to pass the ball and my calf just popped. It was extremely painful and immediately started to swell. After a few days my leg turned a dark purple and was bruised all the way down into my foot. It eventually reattached (in the wrong spot I am sure) but I was able to play again and workout with very little issues.

So last Tuesday I took Tristyn and my good friend Vicki out to play with this same group of women. Only about five minutes in, I took a step only to pass the ball and my other calf popped. There was like no warning. No hint of tightness or anything. It just ripped in half. It swelled to twice its size and is now starting to bruise. At first I thought that this one wasn't as bad because it hadn't bruised yet but it has gotten really sore and is turning a nice shade of purplish-green. I think it is taking longer because it was such a deep tear.

I have been playing volleyball for over twenty years and this has never happened. To be honest I really never had any major injuries. I guess that is what happens when you get old. Your mind still thinks you can play like you are twenty. I am going to have to take it easy and hope that I haven't done too much damage. I know that I will be playing again as soon as I am able to.

2 comments:

The McNeil Family said...

Ouch.. That looks and sounds like it hurts. I hope it feels better soon.

McKelle said...

That looks painful! Hope it doesn't stop you from playing more ball!