Friday, November 28, 2008

The Turkey "Walk"


I have always steered clear of any kind of event that involved running. I don't like to use the word HATE, but I have to say that I HATE running. This year Jen said that she was going to run the Turkey Trot in memory of Kamber. How could I pass up the opportunity to run in memory of my sweet little niece who I love and miss. So I decide that it wouldn't be that bad because "I am tough and I can handle a little pain." Well, let's face it, my body and running is not a good combination. I can play volleyball all day or do hours of weight lifting but if I run then I am in trouble. That is where I am today. I can barely lift my legs. You know how your legs feel after you have had an epidural? You can still walk but they feel a hundred pounds each. The sad thing is that I only jogged about a 1/2 mile out of the total 6.2 miles. I don't know what I was expecting to be able to do but I didn't realize that I was so out of shape.

It was not as bad as I am making it sound. Tristyn decided that she would do it with me and I am so proud of her for finishing it. She is such a strong girl. I was really worried about her but she did great. There was also my sister Candi and her sister-in-laws Melayne and Shasta and niece Savannah. There were many others but that was our core group for most of the way. We had a great time talking and laughing and now I can say that I did the Turkey Trot. We walked most of the way and then every once in a while we would jog a little bit and then walk again. Each mile was done in about 15 minutes which was not as bad as I thought it would be. After the fourth mile however, it was me and Shasta. The rest of our group decided that they needed to keep jogging to make it in under an hour and a half. We could not jog another second. Everyone says that if you run long enough, you eventually go numb. Shasta and I kept waiting for that numbing part to happen but it never did. All we felt was pain. The best part about the walk was that I was really able to use that hour and forty minutes to think about my life and how truly blessed I am. Shasta and I talked about Kamber and it was really nice to think about her and know that she was there with us. It will be really hard to talk me into this next year. I think I could manage the one mile run with the kids but even that may be a stretch.

3 comments:

McKelle said...

Good for you Mindi!! Sounds like fun! Running and I are not friends either!

Anonymous said...

You kicked butt out there young lady!! I'm proud of you for doing it!! Love ya!

keepingupwiththewootans said...

Mindi Im so glad you went out on a lim and walked the Turkey Trot. It is hard and sucky when your in it, but what a good feling and a big accomplishment. I too was very impressed with Trystin and Savana. Hopefully next year you will want to go again. Candi